Playart Fastwings

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Re: Playart Fastwings

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:36 am

Point taken...I wonder how they fit them over the hubs?
This casting is much nicer than it needed to be for a $1 toy, but the newer Model Power issue (at $15) is much nicer.
About the only other B314 in this genre is the Miniplane.
Michael
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:04 am

The red props are metal and the hubs are formed from the casting. I didn't pay anything for it {$2-3 at most} and at the time I just liked the way the casting looked with out the heavy paint.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:19 am

I'm getting off topic here, but in relation to another thread and this "bare metal" B314...there have been very, very few "bare metal" die cast airplane toys over the years. Almost everything is painted. Somehow it seems ironic that a "metal" airplane is painted to look "silver" rather using the natural metal it already is. I suppose there are corrosion issues to be addressed, but I can think of only one off the shelf "toy" airplane that came in "natural metal": a MegaMaster (Maisto) F/A-18 from their K-mart days.
...that said...back to topic: Metal, you say?
MichaelB

Postby angelreader » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 am

Those are interesting variations on the Jet Provost & Hawker Seahawk schemes GR,it bugs me that they did not know the serial numbers go underneath the wings ! both nice castings in my opinion and nobody else did these two types as far as I know unless someone knows otherwise ?
Sold in the UK by Marks & Spencer,the Boeing 314 has eluded me up until now.
angelreader

Re: BareNaked Plane Castings

Postby Tone » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:05 am

I'm getting off topic here, but in relation to another thread and this "bare metal" B314...there have been very, very few "bare metal" die cast airplane toys over the years. Almost everything is painted. Somehow it seems ironic that a "metal" airplane is painted to look "silver" rather using the natural metal it already is. I suppose there are corrosion issues to be addressed, but I can think of only one off the shelf "toy" airplane that came in "natural metal": a MegaMaster (Maisto) F/A-18 from their K-mart days.
...that said...back to topic: Metal, you say?

The Hot Wheels "Madd Props" air racer came as an unpainted "special zamac" version soon after it was first issued (2004). Also the Matchbox Boeing 777 in prototype colors came packaged with an unpainted casting when it debuted in 1997.
Tone

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 am

Good! I wouldn't have known or been looking for the Hot Wheels anything....but that's a good reminder of the original Matchbox 777...SB41...
MichaelB

Playart Fastwings

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:44 am

Looking back, I cannot believe how good these look and they are just toys from Woolworth in 1980.

Tone

Postby MichaelB » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:52 am

Agreed! ...and their military pieces as well!
Considering Lintoys, DynaFlites, Mandarin and etc etc....the Playarts were among the best. ...and they never, ever got reissued by anyone else!
Some of them were issued under the WoolCo and Woolworth brand but the casts and cast in marks were the same. Model Power also issued a few. As you know Model Power is the importer and distributor for the Postage Stamp Models.
Other than that this nice line just disappeared.
I'm afraid they are now lost to history.
Michael
Attachments
MichaelB

Postby richardstarr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:46 pm

PLAYART FASTWINGS are the greatest airplanes in the world. If you have PLAYART FASTWINGS, then
you don't need any more airplanes. Seriously, the pictures by GR are great!!! Great colourful pictures.

I happen to prefer the MILITARY propeller fighters and the MILITARY jets, rather than the COMMERCIAL.

I have two aircraft that I bought on EBAY which I have not seen discussed here. They are the FRENCH MORANE SAULNIER

fighter and the GERMAN FOCKE WULF 190D. If anybody else has these propeller WWII airplanes, please let me know.

THANKS again to GR for some great pictures of PLAYART FASTWINGS.

Thanks very much, Richard
richardstarr

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:39 pm

Playarts was perhaps the best - in terms of accuracy and detail - of the many Hong Kong brands that arose in the '70s. ...notwithstanding the oddly bright, plastic engine nacelles and etc.
I'll need to look at my stock to see if I have those two you mention...the FW and MS.
Their addition of the Me-410 makes me wonder if they were watching Lintoy and mirroring their releases.
Richard, do you have both the "regular" size Fast Wings and the miniatures? ...the 7600 series?
Here's a Military play set and I have plus an airport set. Playart didn't make many sets during their production.
Michael
Attachments
MichaelB

PreviousNext

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage