Re-Winterizing A Corgi DO-17Z

For members interesting in improving and refinishing die cast models

Moderator: Epap

Re-Winterizing A Corgi DO-17Z

Postby Epap » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Corgi made an interesting attempt to replicate a winter white wash scheme on its recent release of a 1:72nsd scale Russian Front DO-17Z, circa the winter of 1941-42. Unfortunately, it failed to lay in the engine exhaust stains, which are a prominent feature in such cases, and the green show through due to the white wash flaking off was not terribly convincing. I decided to tone down the green, as if the plane had just recently been given its coat of white wash and made an effort to have my chipping follow the obvious air flow patterns more closely. A few errors, such as the substitution of a yellow fuselage band for the white one on the Corgi model and carrying the white much closer to the black upper wing crosses were also in order, based on pictures of the actual plane. I thought I'd share a few pictures of this transformation. We start with a picture of the plane, itself:

Epap

Re: Re-Winterizing A Corgi DO-17Z

Postby Epap » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Next, here's a picture of the Corgi replica, in this case sporting a ring antenna above its main cockpit which was not on the final production model:

Epap

Postby Epap » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Now, here's a similar view of my redo:Image
Epap

Postby Epap » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 pm

And a shot of the somewhat less dirty undersides showing the yellow fuselage band:Image
Epap

Return to Refinished Die Cast Models