Pastushin AD-1 Cowl and Prop

Objects incorporating models of aircraft.

Moderators: grwebster, MichaelB, BWBrown, angelreader, ronc200

Pastushin AD-1 Cowl and Prop

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:52 am

I have a request for a Pastushin AD-1 Skyraiser cowling and prop assembly. Would anyone have a lead?

Thanks,
Tom
sandmanoverhaul

Re: Pastushin AD-1 Cowl and Prop

Postby richardstarr » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:34 pm

DEAR MR. SANDMAN OVERHAUL (TOM),

First of all, I have seen your work within the MAC FORUM. Your skills are tremendous, exceptional.

I also have a CHROME PASTUSHIN SKYRAIDER missing the COWLING. Your post made me think of something.
Try your local hardware store for a stainless steel cylinder, chrome cylinder, roughly two inches long.
You can also look for a CHROME CYLINDER. It won't be perfect, but with your skills...

Believe it or not, THRIFT STORES are another possibility,. This is where I get all my aircraft stands.
Some of the stands are PERFECT; too good to be true. I will also try this approach for my DOUGLAS SKYRAIDER.
Good luck hunting.
Thanks, Richard Starr
richardstarr

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:47 am

Richard,
Thank you for your compliments on my past projects.

On the AD-1 cowl and prop, I do have one possible game plan which is basically building a new cowl using a combination of brass and aluminum tubes and sheet to build one up. I have another possible option with an associate who may have the capability to cast new ones if he can get a master and whether his time allows. Like me, he too is pretty backed-up with projects.

Regards,
Tom Sanders
sandmanoverhaul

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Richard,

As an update, when time allows, a new solid aluminum cast AD-1 cowling will be produced in a very small run.
There is no prop included so that will need to be sourced elsewhere. Here are some details...

1) Cost- currently unknown, I suspect about $80-$100 each.
2) Sand Cast- this means essentially a solid, unfinished surface with a rough texture that needs to be sanded and buffed.
3) No shaft hole- A prop shaft hole will need to be bored through the front to the back and, conversely, a larger diameter hole bored from the back to the front (too accommodate a new prop shaft assembly retainer)
4) The cowl will end up as polished aluminum, no chrome, unless you can do that elsewhere.
5) Prop- there is no prop available so other options need to be explored including using a resin prop or other cast metal prop

Send me a PM if you want to get on the list. I suspect maybe 10 will be produced and I know of seven that have been put on the waiting list. I can update as things progress.

Tom
SANDMAN OVERHAUL
sandmanoverhaul

Return to Ashtray Models, Table Lighters and other Accessories