Who made these?

Found an item that you cannot identify? Post it here

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Who made these?

Postby Flyingtiger10 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:38 am

Here are three photos of metal scale models British made.
Who are the authors? What year were they made?
Attachments
Flyingtiger10

Re: Who made these?

Postby grwebster » Sun May 27, 2012 10:55 am

Well, I can help with most of that.

Most of the masters of all three of these model groupings were most likely made by Tommy Atkins of the UK, I believe.

The top model was made as part of a small series by John Alcott and Victor Bailey, late 1980s-early 1990s, founders of the short lasting firm, Veteran and Vintage models. They made their models in 1/200 scale and included the stunning B-36, a masterpiece in modeling. Hard to find but well done and with strong landing gears, unlike the later Western models. They were very expensive and I recall paying around $400 for my B-36. Today? Anyway mine isn't for sale at any price.

John Alcott is known to some collectors as the man behind the earlier 'Dinky Toys' conversions- a Nimrod, a BOAC/Dan-Air/RAF Comet IVs, a Vickers Varsity from the Viking, and TWA and military EC-121 Constellations. These were actual played-with Dinkys converted to represent the new aircraft with better landing gears, added bits and pieces. Only a few, less than 10 were ever made of each conversion and most were signed and dated. If you get a chance to obtain any of Alcott's works you will be assured of having a very rare and exquisite model.

The middle model, a Handley Page Victor, was made by Jeffrey Stevenson of the UK, as were the bottom two- the Flamingo and Fulmar, all in 1/200 scale. He did a good Vulcan too, based on the Wiking model.

Another similar Flamingo {'what if' Dinky Toys style models of aircraft never made by Dinky} was produced by David Austin in the UK in 1980 or so under his Aerodrome trade name. His came in replica blue prewar style Dinky Boxes. I am told David passed on a few years ago.
here is one of the 3 variants of the Flamingo he made.

I personally find these limited works more interesting for my collection than the actual Dinky Toys they came from, and even while I drastically downsized my collection, examples of these models were retained. I do know that the end June auction at Vectis UK will have one of Alcott's Comet IV conversions {I had two} and it will be a rare opportunity to obtain one, should you be interested.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby grwebster » Mon May 28, 2012 9:04 am

Just noticed that Davis Austin's Flamingo used prop pins like the prewar Dinky Toys range, while Stephenson's used a more scale pointed one.
Nice models.
The Veteran and Vintage Blackburn B-101 Beverley is sensational.
I recall seeing these at auction some time ago- did you get them? how much?
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby Flyingtiger10 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi G.R.:
Actually, I think these were sold time ago through Vectis;
I have no more information about them, only the photos.
Unfortunately, I was not the happy buyer!
Flyingtiger10

Return to Unidentified Models