New Line Of Japanese Warbird Replicas

post photos of your collection displays here.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

New Line Of Japanese Warbird Replicas

Postby Epap » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:59 pm

I'm not sure if anyone will find this interesting, however let's give it a try. While I began by collecting---and destroying---- a large number of Cruver recognition models in my youth, my current passion is a thematic approach to warbird replica collecting in plastic and diecast form. One of the more interesting thematic collecting opportunities---to me, at least-----is a new line of Japanese WWII diecast models put out since last fall by Hachette Collections Japan in scales ranging from 1:87th for fighters to 1:120th for larger planes like the Betty, Nell, etc. This line is particularly noteworthy because of its choice of subject matter ( Japanese aircraft )----until recently, most diecast manufacturers have limited themselves to the Zero----and, more importantly, the degree of quality built into this series. As a rule, small scale, mass produced diecasts by IXO, Atlas, Italeri, etc. have been of dubious quality, to say the least. But not the Hachette line. So far I have acquired the first 19 of the models in the Hachette series, including a number of planes featuring a second scheme. All told, up to 35 aircraft will eventually be replicated, including "biggies" like the Mavis and Emily flying boats, so I have a way to go before my collection is completed. As can be seen in the following pictures, the level of detail and the quality of the paint jobs and markings are excellent. There are issues, of course, including some large seam gaps on several models and an occasional slip up in the markings ( misaligned fuselage bands on the Claude, for example)]but, overall I am quite pleased with these products. OK. Here are the pictures:Image
Epap

Re: New Line Of Japanese Warbird Replicas

Postby Epap » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 pm

And, now some Hachette models sporting Green schemes:Image
Epap

Postby grwebster » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 am

Excellent collecting concept and focus. Those look like exceptional models, too. Thanks for sharing.
Where can they be ordered?
I might just break my rule about anything made after 1980 to get some those seaplanes and float planes.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby Epap » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks, GR. These models are sold only in Japan, mostly via bookstores. Each model is packaged with a 10-12 page booklet about the plane, though I've been told that the models are sometimes sold separately in hobby stores. When I first heard about this line, I got my first examples via a friend of a friend who lives in Japan. Since then I have been able to make purchases through Japanese bookstores located in the U.S. and Canada. Several of these have since discontinued this service, however a large chain, Kinokuniya, is still honoring a multi volume purchase deal I made with them.

One of the problems with this series is the fact that you must constantly check the Hachette Collections Japan website to determine which planes are associated with which volume numbers and what the upcoming releases are. At present, 11 of the first 36 releases remain unidentified. To do this, you go on the Hachette site, which is almost all in Japanese despite Google's translation option, and find this particular collection, which is indicated by a picture of its first release--- featuring a Pearl Harbor Zero. Click the button just above the Zero, to the right, and you go to another page. Click the first button on the bottom and a new page pops up. Click the last button down on the left hand sidebar and this takes you to "Feature Three", which shows all of the volumes, with pictures of the models. I've bookmarked this page and now go directly to it. As for the ordering process, you can probably still buy the Pete through Kinokuniya's San Francisco store---this is the one I am currently using----via a Mr. Sakai, who is familiar with the line. These take 2-4 weeks to arrive from the store's Japanese distributor. The Mavis and Emily have yet to be announced, so he wont be able to help you with these, or any other float planes, until they appear in the Hachette listings. Alternatively, you might try another store you have dealings with and/or any friends you may have in Japan. The typical cost per model ranges between $40-50 when ordered via a Japanese bookstore. In Japan, they cost roughly half of this, but the shipping charges are significant. Happy hunting.
Epap

Postby grwebster » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Perhaps they will be sold in France as Hachette does some series like that for sale in news stands.
Otherwise, it seems a bit to complicated to get them.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby Epap » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:31 pm

I doubt that you will find these models for sale in France, except via Japanese bookstores, GR. I realize that the process I outlined seem a bit of a hassle, however once you find a cooperative store, and get their people to check the Hachette website and their distributor, it goes rather smoothly. To my surprise, only a few of these models have appeared on eBay, which may mean that those who bought them are as pleased as I am with this product.
Epap

Postby grwebster » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:02 am

ed, I think I found some more of these at auction in the UK under aircraft>Atlas editions

check out Vectis, Wednesday 14th July 2010

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuctio ... 53&DayNo=2
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby Epap » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 am

grwebster wrote:ed, I think I found some more of these at auction in the UK under aircraft>Atlas editions

check out Vectis, Wednesday 14th July 2010

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuctio ... 53&DayNo=2

These appear to be various two-plane sets from the Atlas 1:72nd scale series being marketed on a subscription basis in the UK, GR, not the Hachette models. I have bought some of the Atlas sets via eBay/uk and they vary greatly in quality. The MC-202 was an abomination, but the Tony wasn't half bad despite annoying paint show through under its markings.
Epap

Return to Photos of your collection