My collection of original Italian WW2 models.

post photos of your collection displays here.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Re: My collection of original Italian WW2 models.

Postby faxtolder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Savoia Marchetti SM79 (primo secondo e terzo).jpg
SM79 from a famous air race, Italy won the first 3 prizes.
Savoia Marchetti SM79 (primo secondo e terzo).jpg (155.54 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

Savoia Marchetti SM81.jpg
Savoia Marchetti SM81
Savoia Marchetti SM81.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

Savoia Marchetti SM82.jpg
Savoia Marchetti SM82
Savoia Marchetti SM82.jpg (58.32 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
faxtolder

Postby faxtolder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Savoia Marchetti SM95 (1945).jpg
Savoia Marchetti SM95, 1945.
Savoia Marchetti SM95 (1945).jpg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

Modelli aerodinamici.jpg
Maybe a bit OT, but still relevant as planes models IMHO: wood samples for early aerodynamics studies by Caproni factories, got these directly by the nephews of Mr Caproni.
Modelli aerodinamici.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

Well, there are the main pieces, but I have 60 more: anything else you might want to see, or if you want more details or further pics, just let me know!
The coin I put as a dimentional reference is a 1 euro coin.
Hope you enjoyed!
faxtolder

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Wow! The goodness just keeps on coming!
Love the Italo Balbo SM55! Excellent model of an excellent plane!
You should consider opening a gallery here at MAC...seriously...load your pictures to the site's gallery, then they won't be lost in the messaging.
Michael
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Outstanding collection. Thanks for sharing, Marco.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby fliegerii » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Impressive.

I think, I can figure out two different makers: One for the models obviously made from metal sheet and another one working with painted alloy.

You are very lucky, that you had such craftmen in this period in Italy.
fliegerii

Postby faxtolder » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks loads guys!

MichaelB: I'll soon post the pics in a gallery here on the forum, just had a look at the procedure and it seems I'll have to rescale to a smaller size most of the pics in order for them to be uploadable there, I'll do that as soon as I'll have time.

fliegerii: It's not easy for me to find the correct English definitions for the manufacturing techniques of the models I posted, anyway they can be classified as:

- "naked empty wood": only a few of them, for example the Ansaldo SVA, which is not a "full" piece of wood, it is empty inside, done with many wood stripes, amazing technique;

- "painted full wood": especially the very big ones, SM73, SM81, SM95..., done from a full piece of wood, with many other pieces additions, some of them in metal;

- "naked empty metal": all the glossy metal ones with "plastic" windows for example, assembled from thin sheets of metal, impressive technique, the ones I like most;

- "naked full metal": easier to be made, but still impressive sometimes, like the Macchi 205 in the pics, these are the most common ones, also more resistent in time;

- "painted empty metal": extremely rare, for example the Fiat CR32 of my pics, masterpieces really delicate and hard to find, thin metal sheets painted after modeling;

- "painted full metal": like the small SM79's, Reggiane, or the big SM55X, most of the times they come with impressive painted details, but more subject to damage in time.

All manufacturers are either the real planes factories (you can read their names sometimes on the stands, even in some of my pics), or official Regia Aeronautica suppliers.
It is very rare to find models of this quality not done by original sources as the ones listed above: maybe only the second Fiat G50 I posted was done by a private craft for example.
All of the models were done before 1945, hence are more than 60 years old.
faxtolder

Previous

Return to Photos of your collection