A-10 Give Away Model

For cereal premiums, airline promotional items

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

A-10 Give Away Model

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:14 pm

I came across these on eBay (duh!) and was surprised because this is something I hadn't ever seen before. These are about 4" wingspan and made of a medium density plastic. Not hard like ABS but not soft like vinyl.
The quality of the model is good, with accurate shapes and details. There isn't any undercarriage. They seem very durable including what looks like a bit of chewing on one wing tip.
The only writing on them is "Hill AFB" which is cast in under the wing. Hill was among the first to receive the A-10 as they were the testing and evaluation facility for the USAF.
Again...it's unusual to see something entirely different in this genre and this one caught me by surprise!
I only know of a few "military" give aways: Lockheed C-5, Convair F-102A and this little plane. All are very different in their composition and construction.
Attachments
A $1 coin and a common DC-8-62 are shown for size comparison.
Hill AFB I worked hard to keep the color accurate.
MichaelB

A-10 Give Away Model

Postby Tone » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:09 am

That looks nicer than some of the die casts I have seen!
Tone

Re: A-10 Give Away Model

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:33 am

There are very few military promotional aircraft out there.
Here's the Convair F-102A which is about 1/200, but smaller. Underneath it says "Convair F-102A" and judging from it's relative commonness, must have been given away at AFBs and such. I do have a silver plated one.
Do not confuse this with the Hawk XF-92A from their ID set or with the Bonux XF-92 in their soap line. Also, remember that the Hawk XF-92 was also released by Cheerios as the "Sea Dart" with a shorter fin...needless to say, it's not the Sea Dart!
Attachments
The two Hawk XF-92s.
Here's a rare one - in yellow! So far, I don't know why.
MichaelB

Return to Plastic Promotional Give-Aways