Unknown maker of Tornado plane.

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Unknown maker of Tornado plane.

Postby alumtube » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 am

Just got this ugly model of a Panavia Tornado. About 10" long, marble base, plane is made of metal.
Aeroscale.de list a simular one as made by Fomaer. Any thoughts?
Attachments
alumtube

Re: Unknown maker of Tornado plane.

Postby grwebster » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 am

Actually, it not so ugly,...... for a toy, because that is probably what it it is. Just refinished and mounted on that stand. Fomaer's aircraft were sleek, cast in aluminum, and polished models, and very well done. There are some examples of these posted on this forum so do a search. I seem to recall that the grandson of the founder of Fomaer is a member here, too.

From 1965 to 1979 Meccano's Dinky Toys made large scale toys that were not well received and your 'desk' model was perhaps one of them, No. 729 MRCA. It was introduced in 1974 before the aircraft became known as the 'Tornado'. None of those toys were that well done, but all tried to feature some play action device that in your case were the moveable wings and folding landing gear {the lever to actuate the gear is on the other side of the model in the photograph, if it is still present}.

This toy was also issued in a bare metal kit, but it looks, judging from the partial photo, like yours doesn't have any landing gear, so perhaps it was a 'save', a renovated piece made from a broken and well played with toy from the scrap heap with the gear openings filled in. As further proof of this as the origin, the noses of these toys were frequently broken away and lost, and yours looks to have a filled in one with a protruding nail.

Here are some other examples of it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dinky+t ... 12&bih=484
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby alumtube » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 am

Thank for info. This piece is actually casted in one solid piece of aluminum ( except for the wings of course ) and no levler to move the wings. It is hard to tell from listed picture but the tail and parts of the fuselage is different from the Dinky one. I bought it because the stand and ball-joint on plane looked exactly like some of my Formaer models. This stand fits my standless F-4 perfectly. Here is a pic, from the net, of simular airplanes and two Tornadoes that looks exact same with the more traditional Formaer stand, all being identified as Formaer. Yes I agree, Former made some very nice model. I will be surprised if this ugly example was one, but I could keep the stand and send the plane off to ebay....
Attachments
unknown copy.jpg
unknown copy.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 5456 times
alumtube

Postby solumis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:55 pm

it is a Fomaer...2nd generation Tornado. There is even a tornado without movable wings from Fomaer (1st gen). Fomaer did some models that are out of "style"
Attachments
solumis

Postby grwebster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks for the correct identification. I am never wrong except when I am :lol:
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby alumtube » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 am

Great, thanks for info.
Now I have to decide what to do with it. The black color on the engine intakes and tail scoope and antennae must have been painted by a kid. The white, red color and decals looks original. Hate to strip it off but this plane could actually be viewable in camo or bare metal.....
alumtube

Postby solumis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:29 am

keep it like it is... I think its the original livery. I have seen more of them like that. The same decals are used for the Italian camoflage one
solumis

Postby alumtube » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:28 am

It is now on my shelf partially hidden behind some nicer Fomaer models.

Thanks again.
alumtube

Postby fliegerii » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:45 pm

The better option is not to buy such models. ;)

If you collect Fomaer models (such as I do), you will sooner or later find out, that not each models is worth to spend money for. He made a lot of attractive models, but some (especially his first ones) are rather odd.

This Tornado is painted in the prototype colours from MRCA, the scheme itself is correct.
fliegerii

Postby alumtube » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Paid less for this than I would have paid for a stand for my stand-less F-4 ;)
I did remove the red tape (it was not a decal ) that you see halfway down the empenage. I also removed the red and black paint around the engine intakes that looked like a 5 year old had painted. It looks a bit better now.
alumtube

Return to Manufacturer's Models